Zelos Starfighter Chronograph - Frost Limited Edition Panda Dial (ETA 2894)
Why We Love This Watch
This 41mm Zelos Starfighter is named for the the Lockheed F-104 Starfighter, a futuristic looking fighter-bomber from the 1950s and 1960s that was the first aircraft to simultaneously hold the world speed and altitude records. The slim, angular Zelos lug design is a shout-out to the Starfighter's razor sharp looking wing design that enabled it to break the world speed record, and we see other Starfighter design cues from Zelos here as well, including the pilot watch style triangle with two dots on the twelve o'clock index, and the custom rotor design in the form of a turbine.
Everyone loves a classic black and white panda, but the Frost Zelos Starfighter goes one step further with a strong full reverse lume on the main dial in cyan blue (Swiss Super-LumiNova BGW9) matched with the same blue lume on the bezel's tachymeter scale. As if this isn't eye catching enough already, Zelos have also included green lume on the major indices (Swiss Super-LumiNova C3) and as a finishing touch that really is outstanding, on the bezel tachymeter label too.
Those stylish good looks on the outside are equally matched with one of the most desirable and reliable Swiss mechanical chronograph movements you can find in a microbrand watch, the high beat 37 jewel ETA 2894-2 in elabore grade. Thanks to this movement choice, surprisingly this mechanical chronograph is thinner than you'd expect and clocks in at just 11mm in height, excluding the scratch resistant boxed sapphire crystal. The rest of the specs are equally good and include a solid link bracelet with quick release pins, screwed links, a really nice taper from 22mm to 18mm, and a double pusher clasp that features hidden ratcheting micro-adjustments in 4 positions with no tools required to make any on the fly adjustments.
Video ReviewsThis is the only video review we've been able to find of the Frost Zelos Starfighter, and is in Italian. It is still worth checking out as you can get automatic subtitles in your language and there is some decent outdoor photography around the 8 minute and 15 seconds mark to give you an idea of how nice this watch can look.
Microbrand Watch Specifications
- Type: Full reverse lume panda dial bicompax chronograph.
- Reference: Zelos Starfighter Chronograph 'Frost'. (Limited Edition.)
- Color Scheme: White main dial with blue full reverse lume background and green lume on the hands and major indices. Black sub-dials. Black bezel with blue lume tachymeter scale and green lume tachymeter label.
- Complications: Date window at 6 o'clock with color matched date wheel. Central chronograph (stopwatch) main second hand. Small seconds time-of-day at 3 o'clock. 30 minute chronograph timer at 9 o'clock.
Water Resistance: 5 ATM / 50 meters / 164 feet.
- Diameter: 41mm, excluding crown.
- Lug-to-Lug Length: 48mm.
- Lug Width: 22mm.
- Height: 11mm, excluding crystal.
- Case: 316L marine grade stainless steel case with finely brushed finish contrasted with polished beveled edges and scratch resistant 1200 Vickers hardened finish.
- Case Back: Screw down scratch resistant sapphire crystal exhibition case back displaying the Swiss ETA 2894 elabore movement with custom turbine style rotor.
- Dial Type: Traditional black and white bicompax panda dial scheme with two color full reverse lume on the main dial, applied indices and semi-skeletonized handset.
- Dial Glass: Scratch resistant boxed sapphire crystal with inner AR coating.
- Bezel: Scratch resistant black ceramic bezel with two color lume markings.
- Lume: Swiss Super-LumiNova X1 grade (the most expensive, brightest, and longest lasting vs. standard grade) C3 lume, which glows green, and Swiss Super-LumiNova BGW9 lume, which glows blue.
- Bracelet Included: 22mm solid link 316L marine grade steel bracelet (tapers down to 18mm) with scratch resistant 1200 Vickers hardening, and featuring quick release pins, screwed links and a double pusher milled clasp with ratcheting microadjustments. (No tools needed to make micro-adjustments on the fly.)
- Movement: 37 jewel Swiss ETA 2894-2 elabore grade automatic mechanical movement with custom turbine style rotor.
- Oscillation: High beat 28,800 BPH, (8 ticks per second.)
- Hacks: Yes.
- Hand Winds: Yes.
- Automatic Winding: Yes.
- Power Reserve: 42 hours.
- Manufacturer's Warranty: 1 year.
We Also Recommend
Zelos Mako "True" GMT - Blue Meteorite Limited Edition
Zelos Spearfish GMT - Meteorite Limited Edition (Swiss Mvmt)
Zelos Spearfish GMT - Bumblebee Yellow Limited Edition (Swiss Mvmt)
Zelos Spearfish GMT - Frost White Limited Edition (Swiss Mvmt)