Frequently Asked Questions
Who are you?
We're a small family-run business that takes pride in offering a personal level of service to our customers. The Microbrand Store™ is a trademark of TimeApps.com, Inc., a U.S. corporation, which in turn is owned by Neil Cresswell, the name behind our brand if you will.
Neil founded and runs a number of online communities for watch microbrands, including the Kickstarter Watches & Horology Microbrands group on Facebook, (over 7,000 members,) and is an avid microbrand watch collector himself, and writes, records and publishes microbrand watch reviews.
It may sound a little crazy for a watch store owner sharing reviews, but Neil always likes to mention both the good and the bad points of every watch he covers. There is no "perfect watch" and he'd rather have a happy, informed watch buyer and potential customer with an unbiased review than run the all too common paid marketing shill pieces. All of the watches in the store are personal picks of his, and he's always happy to discuss the ins and outs of any timepiece.
Where do you ship from?
Although The Microbrand Store™ is domiciled in the United States, we usually ship from our storage facilities in Japan. Please note that we never drop ship, and hold all stock ourselves before shipping.
The reasons for our choice of shipping location are many, such as:
- It's cheaper for us to receive goods in Asia than in some other locations, both in terms of shipping costs to us, (which we have to pay to microbrands,) and the import duties/taxes we're obligated to pay.
- We receive goods faster typically since they often originate in Asia, allowing us to restock any popular items that are sold out faster.
- As we provide free worldwide shipping on watches for our customers, it's also much cheaper for us to pay for express airmail shipping on a worldwide basis than it is say in the United States, where shipping prices can be as much as three times more expensive.
- All of these savings in turn can let us offer you discounts on a lot of our prices compared to others.
- We additionally find shipping is generally faster on a worldwide basis than shipping from the U.S. with an equivalent service. Meaning, on average, our customers get their watches faster!
Do you charge taxes or shipping fees?
Worldwide shipping on all purchases from us that include a watch is always free.
If you order other goods from us, as long as your entire order is $150 USD or more, then we ship for free.
As we don't sell to customers in Japan, which is where we're shipping from, we don't charge tax. Customers are responsible for paying any import duties/taxes according to their local laws. Typically either the person delivering the watch to you will collect any tax that is due, or you'll get a note delivered with the details so you can pay. In many instances, when a watch costs under a certain amount then there may be no import duties or taxes.
What currencies do you use?
All charges are in U.S. dollars.
For your convenience we try and work out which country you're in and display prices in an appropriate currency for you, such as displaying prices in euros for most EU countries, or pounds sterling for the UK. However, all of the prices we charge are in U.S. dollars, which you'll see if you proceed to checkout. The non-US currency prices are based on a daily base exchange rate between that currency and US dollars, to help give you a rough idea of the costs in a different currency.
Desktop or tablet users can change their currency selection at any time by using the currency menu found on the top right of the screen. For example, you can switch from Canadian Dollars to U.S. dollars if you prefer to see the actual U.S. dollar prices.