Zelos Skyraider 2 Titanium Skeleton - Limited Edition ETA 6498-1 Elabore
When the Zelos Skyraider 2 Titanium Skeleton limited edition watch launched, it quickly sold out on Zelos' site within hours. Luckily, as an authorized dealer, we were able to pre-reserve a couple in advance of the launch. Please note though that we will not be able to obtain any more Skyraider IIs from Zelos beyond what is currently offered here since the limited edition size is only 100 timepieces.
The Zelos Skyraider 2 Titanium Skeleton watch features a Swiss ETA 6498-1 hand-wound movement, (in élaboré grade, with a better average accuracy than standard grade movements,) is shipped in a wooden gift box, with a convenient watch travel roll capable of holding several watches, and comes with a custom titanium bracelet featuring an extremely convenient quick adjustment clasp, (no tools required,) screwed links, and quick release spring bars.
Why We Love This Watch
One thing that almost every watch collector wants who loves skeletonized movements with gorgeous exhibition case backs is a watch featuring the ETA 6498-1, which was originally a Unitas movement. This famous Swiss movement has a lot of horological history behind it, going back to it's 1950s debut in pocket watches, and is often a first choice in custom built watches of this type due to it's suitability for larger watches (that's more to look at!) and lack of automatic rotor so one clearly see the movement in operation. This reliable workhorse has also been a popular movement choice for brands to customize, with variations from the likes of Omega, Panerai, and Stowa.
Zelos didn't disappoint here either, with a lot of customization work on the movement to bring out the best of the mechanical marvel that is the ETA 6498. Seeing this timepiece running can be absolutely mesmerizing. Little touches add to the vintage styling such as a turbine engraving on the ratchet wheel, and snailing on the crown wheel, not to mention a lot of painstaking work cutting away parts of the bridges and components to reveal as much of the inner workings of the movement as possible.
The Zelos attention to quality doesn't stop with the movement. This watch features scratch resistant sapphire crystal on not just the dial side of the watch but the back as well. The strongest possible and longest lasting X1 grade Swiss Super-LumiNova C3 lume, which is also the brightest color, can be found not just on the dial but, unusually, illuminating the specifications listed on the case back as well, a really nice touch.
This is every inch a relatively light and dressy tool watch for fans of mechanical timepieces, featuring an astoundingly thin 10½mm height excluding the crystal, with industrial styling and a subtle 12 o'clock index betraying it's heritage as a pilot watch. These watches are named for the Douglas A-1 Skyraider, one of the last propeller-driven attack aircraft that lasted well into the jet age. Keeping that in mind, it all makes sense and comes together when you see the parallel with this movement originating in 1950s pocket watches still running strong in modern timepieces, and with the turbine engraving that is somewhat reminiscent of a spinning propeller.
- Type: Microbrand watch.
- Reference: Zelos Skyraider 2 Titanium Skeleton.
- Limited Edition Size: 100 timepieces.
- Complications: Sub-dial with seconds.
- Color Scheme: Titanium.
- Water Resistance: 5 ATM / 50 meters / 164 feet.
- Diameter: 42mm, excluding crown.
- Lug-to-Lug Length: 48½mm.
- Lug Width: 22mm.
- Height: 10½mm (excluding crystal.)
- Case: Marine grade titanium.
- Case Back: Scratch resistant sapphire exhibition case back exposing custom work on the skeletonized movement, with X1 grade Swiss Super-LumiNova lume.
- Dial Type: Fully skeletonized dial with applied major indices and a seconds sub-dial symmetrically placed at 6 o'clock.
- Dial Glass: Scratch resistant sapphire crystal with anti-reflective coating.
- Bezel: Titanium.
- Lume: Swiss Super-LumiNova C3 (the brightest color) in X1 grade, (the brightest and longest lasting grade and most expensive grade.)
- Bracelet Included: A 22mm custom titanium bracelet featuring an on-the-fly size adjustment mechanism, screwed links, and quick release pins.
- Movement: 17 jewel hand-wound Swiss ETA Unitas 6498 skeletonized pocket watch movement in elabore grade. The ratchet wheel features a turbine engraving, and the crown wheel features snailing with concentric circles.
- Oscillation: 18,000 BPH.
- Hacks: No.
- Hand Winds: Yes.
- Automatic Winding: No.
- Power Reserve: 46 hours.
- Manufacturer's Warranty: 1 year.
We Also Recommend
Second Hour Sattelberg Beacon (Full Reverse Lume)
Second Hour Sattelberg Officer (Black Dial) Pilot/Field Watch
Minor Heritage Classic Beige - Swiss Made Limited Edition
Minor Heritage Electric Blue - Swiss Made Limited Edition