Zelos Mako "True" GMT - Blue Meteorite Limited Edition
The Zelos Mako Blue Meteorite GMT is a 40mm limited edition dive watch with a 300 meters water resistance rating, and features a blue dial cut from a real extra-terrestrial meteorite. This watch comes with an excellent Zelos travel case, allowing up to three watches to be carried.
Why We Love This Watch
Capable of tracking three time zones, (one with the 12 hour hand, another with the 24 hour hand combined with the 24 hour markings on the outer track, the third also with the 24 hour hand but by rotating the bezel in either direction,) this very capable timepiece has a lot to offer. Not only do we have stunning good looks with a semi-gloss dial finish that catches the light very nicely as the angles change, showing off the meteorite's natural Widmanstätten patterns, but the view is equally interesting at night too, with Zelos's signature Swiss Super-LumiNova lume in two colors:
blue BGW9, and green C3, including a lumed crown.
Spec-wise, the Zelos Mako GMT Blue Meteorite can put a lot of other more expensive watches to shame. The bracelet nicely tapers down to 18mm with a mix of brushed and polished finishes and has all of the features you'd expect from Zelos including screwed links and quick release pins, and the star here is the clasp with a tool-less micro-adjustment system that will make folks familiar with Rolex's Glidelock system feel right at home. On top we have a very nice high box domed sapphire crystal with anti-reflective coating, surrounded by a semi-gloss ceramic bezel insert that works really well with the dial finish, as does the color matching on the date wheel.
From a functional perspective, not only do we have three time zones, but the high beat automatic 9075 movement is what is known as a "true" GMT or travelers' GMT, allowing the hour hand to be changed to a different local time without changing the 24 hour GMT hand's time. The bidirectional bezel conveniently has 48 clicks as well, allowing for half hour intervals, handy for time zones that can have a half hour offset such as for example Afghanistan, parts of Australia, Iran and Newfoundland.
Many customers automatically assume that a "true" GMT watch (also known more accurately as a "travelers' GMT") must be better than other GMT watches that do not have the "true" label. Since this is not actually the case, we wanted to clarify the situation for our customers so they can make an informed decision before purchasing. Buying a "true" GMT certainly has some positive advantages over other GMTs, but also a quite noticeable negative as well, which can be quite annoying if you tend to rotate your watches and not just keep wearing the GMT as your only watch.
Simply put, a "true" GMT watch lets you adjust the local 12 hour time without the GMT 24 hour time changing at all. If you move between several time zones while on a trip, you can leave your GMT hand set to your home time zone or GMT time if preferred and easily tweak your local 12 hour time, making a "true" GMT handy for constant travelers.
The big drawback with a "true" GMT however is that there is usually no quick date adjust setting. You can't switch to adjust just the date window number and instead you have to wind the hours backwards or forwards to change the date. This means that if you don't wear the watch all the time, and don't keep it on a watch winder, you may have to wind the watch many hours forwards or backwards through up to half a month to get to the correct date, which can be quite time consuming.
Really your choice should come down to how you use the watch. If you're on a trip to somewhere that just has one different time zone to where you're coming from then in most situations, a GMT with a quick set date option may be a better bet for you. If you're taking the watch on a trip through multiple time zones but not wearing it daily, then again an alternative GMT format may be a better choice. Where "true" GMTs tend to really shine is when you're taking just the "true" GMT watch as your only watch on a trip through several time zones, or where you want to keep it as a daily wear.
- Type: Limited edition microbrand GMT dive watch.
- Reference: Zelos Mako GMT Blue Meteorite.
- Color Scheme: Blue meteorite dial with blue bezel, white markings, and two color blue and green lume that looks white in daylight. Yellow GMT accents.
- Complications: 24 hour 4th hand to track different time zones. Date window at 6 o'clock with color matched date wheel.
- Limited Edition Size: 250 individually numbered timepieces.
Water Resistance: 300 meters / 1,000 feet.
- Diameter: 40mm, excluding crown.
- Lug-to-Lug Length: 46mm.
- Lug Width: 20mm.
- Height: 12½mm. (15½mm including boxed and domed crystal.)
- Case: Marine grade 316L stainless steel brushed case with polished accents.
- Case Back: Screw down case back with Mako shark illustration.
- Dial Type: Natural meteorite dial with protective glossy blue PVD finish.
- Dial Glass: Scratch resistant boxed & domed sapphire crystal with AR coating.
- Bezel: 48 click bidirectional GMT bezel with glossy blue ceramic insert.
Lume: Swiss Super-LumiNova lume in two colors:
BGW9 (glows blue) and C3 (glows green.)
- Bracelet Included: 20mm marine grade 316L stainless steel bracelet that tapers to 18mm at the clasp, with quick release spring bars, screwed links, with a finely brushed finish and polished accents. Milled and signed clasp with double pushers and ratcheting diver's extension that can be adjusted without tools.
- Packing Included: Zelos watch roll capable of holding three watches. Warranty card. (The Microbrand Store is a Zelos authorized dealer.)
- Movement: 24 jewel Miyota 9075 "true" GMT automatic high beat movement with Citizen Parashock shock protection.
- Oscillation: High beat. 28,800 BPH. (8 beats per second.)
- Hacks: Yes.
- Hand Winds: Yes.
- Automatic Winding: Yes.
- Power Reserve: 42 hours.
- Manufacturer's Warranty: 1 year.
We Also Recommend
RZE Resolute Super Compressor - Medallion Yellow (Titanium) LE
Aerotec Ace X GMT Diver - Candy Apple Red
Aerotec Ace X GMT Diver - Burgundy/Black
Aerotec Ace X GMT Diver - Silver-Colored