Straton Legera Bullhead - Swiss Valjoux 7750 (Grey)
Straton Watch Company's Legera chronograph comes in a variety of colors and styles, with each color having the option of either a highly desirable Swiss ETA Valjoux 7750 or 7753 automatic movement, or a more economically priced VK63 or VK67 mecha-quartz hybrid.
Even more exciting is the rare and highly collectible option of a "bullhead" configuration, with the crown and pushers on the top of the watch, or the more standard configuration with the crown and pushers on the right side of this 1970s vintage-styled automotive timepiece.
This watch also comes with a convenient travel case.
Why We Love This Watch
The bullhead design of this particular chronograph, (with the crown and pushers on the top of the watch, instead of on the side,) an option that's rarely seen in modern chronographs, should excite many watch collectors. It's also a firm shout-out to the 1970s vintage theme of this timepiece. Brands such as Omega first introduced this layout in their Seamaster collection in 1970.
Straton are a Swiss microbrand rightly famous for their 1970s vintage automotive racing themed chronographs, and in our opinion have produced some of the very best offerings in this genre. The Straton Legera raises the bar to even higher standards, and the color scheme here, with the carefully coordinated vintage-style rally straps and playful outer track design, is nothing short of exquisite. Look closely though and you'll see a great attention to detail too. While admiring the curves on the case you might pick up on the subtle mirror polished bevel that helps contrast the edge with the finely brushed finish on the rest of the case. Or, perhaps you're admiring the subtle dish shape of the dial and how Straton have carefully married traditional chronograph functions such as a tachometer (found inside the chapter ring) with a 12 hour rotating bezel featuring a second time zone without any sign of clutter. Lots to see here.
A rare vintage bullhead design, exceptional styling, and a highly desirable Swiss automatic chronograph movement that should be in everyone's collection make the Straton Legera punch far above it's price point, and really helps showcase why good quality microbrands can offer exceptional value vs. a number of more mainstream offerings. The Straton Legera not only easily shows a number of other Swiss brands the door, but slams it on them too.
Good looks and styling aside, the Straton Legera is not just a chronograph but can also double or triple as a dive watch or robust travel watch or field watch, with it's 100 meter water rating, Swiss Super-Luminova lume, 120 click unidirectional sapphire bezel with second time zone and domed sapphire glass. This is truly one hell of a versatile timepiece, and looks particularly good on Straton's optional oyster bracelet.
- Type: Microbrand watch.
- Reference: Straton Legera Bullhead 7750 Type C (Grey).
- Complications: Chronograph/stopwatch sub-dials for elapsed minutes and hours, main second hand for chronograph elapsed seconds with current time in seconds on sub-dial, rotating bezel for optional second time zone.
- Color Scheme: Grey with orange, black and silver.
- Water Resistance: 10 ATM / 100 meters / 330 feet.
- Diameter: 42mm.
- Lug-to-Lug Length: 48mm.
- Lug Width: 22mm.
- Height: 16mm.
- Case: 316L marine grade stainless steel with silver colored finish and a subtle mix of finely brushed and mirror polished surfaces.
- Crown: Signed gnurled crown unusually located at 12 o'clock with pushers either side in a bullhead configuration.
- Case Back: Solid screw down case case back with deep illustration.
- Dial Type: Multi-layered dish-shaped sunburst dial with snailed sunburst concentric circles on sub-dial, multi-colored outer track and applied indices.
- Dial Glass: Scratch resistant domed sapphire crystal with anti-reflective coating.
- Bezel: 120 click unidirectional scratch resistant ceramic bezel with 12 hour markers for an optional second time zone or counting dive minute multiples. Fixed chapter ring below has traditional tachometer chronograph markings.
- Lume: Swiss Super-Luminova BGW9 (blue.)
- Straps Included: 1x set of 22mm vintage rally-style grey leather straps with matching orange stitching.
- Movement: 25 jewel Swiss ETA Valjoux 7750 automatic mechanical chronograph movement with 30 minutes and 12 hours sub-dials.
- Oscillation: High beat 28,800 BPH, (8 ticks per second.)
- Hacks: Yes.
- Hand Winds: Yes.
- Automatic Winding: Yes.
- Power Reserve: Up to 48 hours.
- Manufacturer's Warranty: 2 years.
We Also Recommend
Aerotec Ace X GMT Diver - Candy Apple Red Dive Watch
Aerotec Ace X GMT Diver - Burgundy/Black Dive Watch
Aerotec Ace X GMT Diver - Silver-Colored Dive Watch
RZE Resolute Super Compressor - Medallion Yellow (Titanium) LE