Zelos Vitesse Panda LE Chronograph - Swiss Mvmt - 68hr Reserve
This is the panda dial variant of the Zelos Vitesse, a limited edition 40mm chronograph featuring a Swiss automatic column-wheel movement with a 68 hour power reserve.
Why We Love This Watch
Swiss La Joux-Perret L100 Bi-Compax Column Wheel Movement
When it comes to mechanical chronographs, the go-to choices for microbrands tends to be either the more affordable but typically less accurate Chinese Seagull ST19 series or the Swiss ETA Valjoux 7750 series, usually found in watches from around $1,000 to $2,000 USD. La Joux-Perret's new Swiss L100 automatic movement starts with the generally more accurate 7750 architecture, but replaces the cam and lever system which made the 7750 pushers so stiff with a much more desirable blued column wheel, changes the rotor to wind bidirectionally, which removes the rotor noise issue also seen in the 7750, and best of all, massively increases the power reserve by almost an extra 24 hours to 68 hours. In short, the La Joux-Perret L100 has become the new gold standard in this price range, and offers a combination hitherto only seen in far more expensive luxury timepieces.
For those unfamiliar with La Joux-Perret, they are no strangers when it comes to supplying the luxury market, and are renowned for their Swiss tourbillons, split seconds, grand dates, jumping hands and other movements we see in the likes of watches from Baume & Mercier, Raymond Weil, Louis Vuitton, Concord, Corum, Hublot, Montblanc, Eberhard & Co., Panerai, Graham, Franck Muller, Paul Picot, Girard-Perregaux, Carl F. Bucherer, and Jaquet Droz.
Superb Engineering Under-the-Hood
Some of the best features of the Zelos Vitesse Panda are the unseen little touches that turn an excellent timepiece into an outstanding one. Zelos didn't cut corners, and as well as the expected scratch resistant boxed sapphire crystal on the front of the watch, we also get sapphire crystal on the exhibition case back to show off the nicely customized movement. Adding to the scratch resistance, the 316L marine grade stainless steel case also has a 1200 Vickers hardened coating. By comparison, 316L steel has a normal hardness of around 150 Vickers. The clasp on the beads of rice bracelet also has a very convenient hidden feature: A hidden ratcheting quick adjust resizing system that doesn't require any tools for on the fly micro-adjustments. Overall Zelos are renowned for the solid quality of their builds, and these watches feel superb in the hand, and are some of the best microbrand chronographs we've ever handled.
Reference: Zelos Vitesse Panda.
- Type: Limited edition microbrand chronograph.
Color Scheme: Traditional black and white panda dial (white main dial and black sub-dials) with red accents and blue lume.
- Limited Edition Size: 100 individually numbered timepieces per colorway.
- Water Resistance: 50 meters / 165 feet.
- Diameter: 40mm, excluding screw down crown.
- Lug-to-Lug Length: 48mm.
- Lug Width: 20mm.
- Height: 12.2mm, excluding crystal.
- Case: Marine grade 316L stainless steel case, with scratch resistant 1200 Vickers hardened coating, and a mix of brushed and polished finishes.
- Case Back: Exhibition case back with scratch resistant sapphire crystal.
- Dial Type: Textured sandwich main dial with applied major indices and sunken main track. Sub-dials have concentric snailing for a subtle sunburst effect.
- Dial Glass: Scratch resistant boxed sapphire crystal with inner AR coating.
- Chapter Ring: Fully reverse lumed tachometer scale.
- Lume: Swiss Super-LumiNova BGW9 lume (Glows blue when charged.)
- Straps Included: 20mm marine grade 316L stainless steel bracelet, with quick release spring bars, screwed links, and a mix of brushed and polished finishes. Milled clasp with double pushers and hidden quick micro-adjustment system that can be adjusted by hand, similar to Rolex's system, no tools required.
- Movement: Swiss La Joux-Perret L100 high beat automatic mechanical chronograph movement with column-wheel activated pushers.
- Oscillation: High beat. 28,800 BPH. (8 ticks per second.)
- Hacks: Yes.
- Hand Winds: Yes.
- Automatic Winding: Yes.
- Power Reserve: 68 hours extended power reserve.
- Manufacturer's Warranty: 1 year.
We Also Recommend
Gruppo Gamma Divemaster Mk II DG-02 - Swiss ETA 2824-2
Melbourne Portsea Calendar — Black (Triple Calendar)
Melbourne Portsea Calendar — Navy Blue (Triple Calendar)
Relio Solstice Red - Sports Watch (Burgundy Fumé Sunburst)