Straton Speciale - Swiss Valjoux 7750 (Blue, Polished Case)
The 42mm Straton Speciale is probably the most famous watch Straton have produced to date. Straton, a Swiss microbrand, raised over a quarter of a million dollars in their Kickstarter campaign for this watch in late 2017 and the original production run quickly sold out. Now the Speciale is back with a final limited production run, giving watch collectors who missed out a brief opportunity to score one of these iconic timepieces.
With both a highly desirable Swiss ETA (Valjoux) 7750 automatic version and an economical VK67 mecha-quartz version, the Straton Speciale comes in a variety of colors and finishes. An optional Straton solid link bracelet is also recommended.
Why We Love This Watch
Simply put, this watch screams 1970s automotive racing more than any other modern chronograph we know of, with it's deep curved rounded oblong cushion case, subtle sunburst effect, and matching square sub-dials with rounded corners. The colors, such as the orange highlights on the custom hands and indices, perfectly match the period in what is a very unique design that somehow feels like it's been around for quite a while. This watch tends to get noticed and a lot of complements. It's loud yet tasteful, different yet familiar, and one of a kind. Instantly recognizable by avid microbrand watch collectors, the Straton Speciale epitomizes Straton as a brand.
The specifications on this watch also make it a surprisingly robust timepiece, more so than it's 1970s counterparts, with a reliable movement, scratch resistant sapphire glass, scratch resistant DLC (diamond-like carbon) coating on the case - virtually as hard as a diamond - and a 100 meter water rating you can comfortably go swimming with. Each Straton Speciale comes with carefully color-matched vintage-style leather rally straps as well as a convenient travel case.
Video ReviewThis video may be of the same or a slightly different Straton Speciale model (a different color, finish style or movement) in order to give you a general feel for these timepieces.
- Type: Microbrand watch.
- Reference: Straton Speciale Valjoux 7750 Type A (Blue) with polished case finish.
- Complications: Chronograph/stopwatch sub-dials for elapsed minutes and hours, main second hand for chronograph elapsed seconds with current time in seconds on sub-dial. Both day of week and day of month date window complications are included.
- Color Scheme: Blue with orange accents, with a polished stainless case.
- Water Resistance: 10 ATM / 100 meters / 330 feet.
- Diameter: 42mm.
- Lug-to-Lug Length: 41mm.
- Lug Width: 22mm.
- Height: 15mm.
- Case: 316L marine grade stainless steel with polished steel finish coated in a clear scratch resistant DLC (diamond-like carbon) protective layer. Sloped vintage cushion case design.
- Crown: Signed gnurled crown with pushers either side.
- Case Back: Solid screw down case case back with deep illustration of a vintage speedometer.
- Dial Type: Multi-layered complex sunburst dial with sloped chapter ring and square sub-dials and applied indices.
- Dial Glass: Scratch resistant domed sapphire crystal with anti-reflective coating.
- Bezel: Fixed bezel. Sloped chapter ring below has traditional tachometer chronograph markings.
- Lume: Swiss Super-Luminova.
- Straps Included: 1x pair of 22mm vintage rally-style blue leather straps with matching orange stitching.
- Movement: 25 jewel Swiss ETA Valjoux 7750 automatic mechanical chronograph movement with 30 minutes and 12 hours sub-dials.
- Oscillation: High beat 28,800 BPH, (8 ticks per second.)
- Hacks: Yes.
- Hand Winds: Yes.
- Automatic Winding: Yes.
- Power Reserve: Up to 48 hours.
- Manufacturer's Warranty: 2 years.
We Also Recommend
Gruppo Gamma Vanguard AN-18 Mk IV - Swiss ETA 2824-2
Zelos Abyss 3 3000M Steel Teal (3km, Swiss Mvmt, Limited Edition)
Direnzo DRZ03 Eclipse (Blue Moon) - Swiss Made Limited Edition
Viqueria Levante - Imola Blue - Full Pack (Limited Edition)