Solas Watches - Sólás Starlight Silver - Aventurine Dial + Micro-Rotor
Why We Love This Watch
Everyone loves a midnight blue aventurine dial, which can twinkle like stars, and is absolutely stunning in a dress watch. However in this case, we're hard put to decide if we like the front or back of the Sólás Starlight more. The Solas Starlight is, as far as we know, the first microbrand watch to feature a micro-rotor on the back, giving us some lovely unobstructed views of the nicely decorated movement combined with the convenience of being able to automatically wind itself by the action of the wearer's wrist. Sólás Watches did not cut any corners here, and for the back we're treated to sapphire crystal and a 30 jewel movement with Côtes de Genêve Geneva striping, perlage, blued screws, and of course a lovely gold colored micro-rotor.
Raising the bar further, this watch features hand-made salmon skin straps that are among the most comfortable and flexible straps we've ever worn. These are made locally for Solas Watches and also feature calfskin backing, quick release pins, and a signed butterfly buckle with double pushers. Due to the fit of the straps and the thin profile of this automatic watch, at under 10mm, we think that, with all of it's good looks, the Solas Starlight is a superb dress watch.
As you may expect from a quality dress timepiece, the rest of the specifications include a 50 meter water resistance rating, sapphire crystal on the front with inner anti-reflective coating, and an optional date window at 3 o'clock. The dial also features a small seconds sub-dial unusually located between 7 and 8 o'clock, which adds more interest without detracting from the rich aventurine dial, which is the main attraction.
Reference: Sólás Starlight Silver, from Sólás Watches.
Color Scheme: Midnight blue aventurine dial with silver colored case, hands, and applied indices. Black salmon straps with silver colored hardware.
Type: Microbrand dress watch.
- Complications: Optional date window at 3 o'clock.
- Water Resistance: 5 ATM / 50 meters / 165 feet.
- Diameter: 38mm, excluding crown.
- Lug-to-Lug Length: 44mm.
- Lug Width: 20mm.
- Height: 9.7mm.
Case: 316L marine grade stainless steel case with a finely polished finish.
- Case Back: 316L marine grade stainless steel screw down case back with a sapphire crystal window that nicely shows off the decorated mechanical movement, which includes Côtes de Genêve, (Geneva striping,) blued screws, perlage, and a gold colored micro-rotor.
- Dial Type: Midnight blue aventurine glass dial, also known as goldstone, with silver-colored applied indices, logo and mirror polished faceted dauphine hands. Similarly finished small seconds sub-dial. Optional date window at 3 o'clock.
- Glass Type: Scratch resistant sapphire crystal with inner anti-reflective coating.
Straps Included: Handmade 20mm black salmon skin straps with genuine salmon skin upper, matching black stitching, full grain Italian calfskin backing, quick release pins, and a silver-colored butterfly buckle with double pushers and Sólás logo.
- Movement: Hangzhou 5000A high beat automatic mechanical movement with 30 jewels, gold-colored micro-rotor, Geneva striping, perlage and blued screws. Accuracy has been reported by other watch vendors with this movement to be up to +/- 10 seconds per day. As this is a new movement, this has not yet been verified.
- Oscillation: High beat 28,800 BPH, (8 ticks per second.)
- Hacks: No.
- Hand Winds: Yes.
- Automatic Winding: Yes.
- Power Reserve: 42+ hours.
- Manufacturer's Warranty: 2 years.
We Also Recommend
Gruppo Gamma Divemaster Mk II DG-02 - Swiss ETA 2824-2
Melbourne Portsea Calendar — Black (Triple Calendar)
Melbourne Portsea Calendar — Navy Blue (Triple Calendar)
Relio Solstice Red - Sports Watch (Burgundy Fumé Sunburst)