Signum Cuda Heat Treated Meteorite
Why We Love This Watch
A meteorite dial is always a popular choice for watch collectors and a fantastic talking point, since meteorite doesn't originate on Earth and is extra-terrestrial in origin.
Rarer still is heat-treated meteorite, which can be difficult to produce, and takes skill and perfect timing produce the vivid colors shown here via a heating and cooling process. Done right and the dial can naturally exhibit vibrant blues, purples, or magentas that draw the eye, with every dial being slightly different and unique, both in terms of coloration and the intriguing pattern of lines known as a Widmanstätten pattern, which is also naturally occurring in meteorite.
The Signum Cuda Heat Treated Meteorite dive watch comes in two sizes, 44mm (around 42mm excluding crown and crown guard,) or 40mm (around 38mm excluding crown and crown guard,) and with an optional date window at 4 o'clock. We also retail a more "natural" looking grey meteorite Signum Cuda which we think goes very well with the included oyster-style bracelet which comes with all Signum Cuda models.
Signum really hit this one out of the park, and made quite a splash with their launch of the Signum Cuda, with a lengthy list of features you would typically not expect to see retailing at this price point. Features such as a 200 meter rating, (Signum could've opted for 100 meters,) sapphire crystal, very strong Swiss Super-LumiNova lume, including a lumed crown and full reverse lume on the first 20 minutes of the ceramic bezel, and a solid link oyster style bracelet with double push release, are all signs of a well thought out design that didn't cut corners when it comes to the watch itself. Rarity aside, we think this is an excellent value for money, and we don't usually see good quality heat-treated meteorite divers at these kinds of prices.
"40mm" Signum Cuda Option
Signum list the watch case on these models as a 40mm. However, Signum include the crown guards in their diameter measurement. Using a more standard measurement that excludes the crown guards, we consider these to actually be 38mm designs.
- Diameter: 38.3mm, excluding crown and crown guards.
- Lug-to-Lug Length: 44mm.
- Lug Width: 20mm.
- Height: 13.7mm including crystal.
- Weight: 162 grams, including bracelet.
"44mm" Signum Cuda Option
Signum list the watch case on these models as a 44mm. However, Signum include the crown guards in their diameter measurement. Using a more standard measurement that excludes the crown guards, we consider these to actually be 42mm designs.
- Diameter: 42.3mm, excluding crown and crown guards.
- Lug-to-Lug Length: 48mm.
- Lug Width: 22mm.
- Height: 14.0mm including crystal.
- Weight: 202 grams, including bracelet.
Shared Watch Specifications
- Type: Microbrand watch. Dive watch.
- Reference: Signum Cuda Heat Treated Meteorite.
Complications: Optional date window at 4 o'clock.
- Color Scheme: Heated-treated real meteorite dial that will typically exhibit colors such as blue, purple, or magenta, with a black ceramic bezel and white markings.
- Water Resistance: 20 ATM / 200 meters / 660 feet.
- Case: 316L marine grade stainless steel with a brushed finish, drilled lugs for easy bracelet or strap removal, crown guards, and a lumed screw-down signed crown.
- Case Back: 316L marine grade stainless steel screw down case back with an embossed illustration of a barracuda fish, a ferocious hunter with fang-like teeth that is popular with sport-fishing enthusiasts, for which this watch is named.
- Dial Type: Extra-terrestrial real meteorite dial that is carefully heated and cooled at the exact right moment to change the color of the meteorite. As meteorite is a natural product, each dial will look slightly different and vary in color, and also the naturally occurring pattern of lines known as a Widmanstätten pattern will be different on every dial. We have inspected them all and have been very impressed with the look and quality of these dials, which all exhibit some vivid colors that require skill and perfect timing to produce.
- Dial Glass: Scratch resistant sapphire crystal with an inside anti-reflective coating.
- Bezel: Black scratch resistant ceramic 120 click undirectional bezel with all markings fully lumed, including a full reverse lume on the first 20 minutes.
- Lume: Swiss Super-LumiNova on all hands, applied indices, and bezel markings.
- Straps Included: 1x oyster-style 316L marine grade stainless bracelet with a fully brushed finish, solid links, push pins, and a signed milled diver's clasp with safety fold over, double pusher release, and five micro-adjust positions.
- Movement: 24 jewel Seiko NH35A or NH38A automatic movement. The NH38A is identical to the better known NH35A except that it doesn't have a date wheel or a crown stop position to adjust the date. Thus the NH35A is used in the Signum Cuda models that sport a date window and the NH38A is used in the Signum Cuda models that do not have a date window.
- Oscillation: 21,600 BPH, (6 ticks per second.)
- Hacks: Yes.
- Hand Winds: Yes.
- Automatic Winding: Yes.
- Power Reserve: Over 41 hours.
- Manufacturer's Warranty: 2 years.
We Also Recommend
Gruppo Gamma Divemaster Mk II DG-01 - Swiss ETA 2824-2
Gruppo Gamma Divemaster Mk II DG-02 - Swiss ETA 2824-2
Melbourne Portsea Calendar — Black (Triple Calendar)
Melbourne Portsea Calendar — Navy Blue (Triple Calendar)