Gruppo Gamma Vanguard AN-18 Mk IV - Blue Cali Dial - Swiss ETA 2824-2 Mvmt
Please note that this watch comes with Gruppo Gamma's convenient hard-back travel pouch, capable of holding two watches. We also carry the Gruppo Gamma Peacemaker PN-18, a similar 44mm blue fumé California dial bronze watch with a slightly shorter lug-to-lug length and a sandwich dial with Old Radium vintage-colored lume.
Why We Love This Watch
Gruppo Gamma are rightly famous for their large watches with historic California dials, and the 44mm Gruppo Gamma Vanguard AN-18 dive watch is no exception, with a beautiful blue fumé gradient dial that starts darker on the outside and gets lighter towards the middle, matched with an equally impressive marine grade CuSn8 bronze case, which in our opinion is the best possible bronze option for developing a warm patina. Best option choices don't stop there and include a liberal application of Swiss Super-Luminova C3 lume, which is the brightest color, and a low profile double domed sapphire crystal lens, which is the hardest and most scratch resistant option possible.
The attention to detail is very remarkable in the Gruppo Gamma Vanguards too, with a lot of considerate touches from screwed lug ends, making strap changes a breeze, (a screwdriver is even included in the package,) to the unusual choice of bolt-on crown guards and opposite that on the far side of the case a steel side guard with an aged finish, which should really complement the bronze as it starts to patina. Rounding out the package are a choice of waxed Horween leather straps that should also age beautifully. (Horween is unequivocally the best tannery in North America.) Inside beats a Swiss ETA 2824-2 automatic movement, which can last a lifetime with good care. These are clearly not your average 200 meter dive watches.
More than anything else, the quality of the build and the smooth buttery feel of the crown action are all hallmarks of a Gruppo Gamma timepiece which put Gruppo Gamma at the very top of the list when considering watch microbrands. You have to handle one of these watches to truly appreciate the quality.
We have it on good authority from Gruppo Gamma that these may well be the last bronze Vanguards in this format. As Gruppo Gamma models tend to sell out fairly quickly and we don't anticipate being able to restock these watches once they're gone, we recommend not waiting on a future release.
- Type: Microbrand watch.
- Reference: Gruppo Gamma Vanguard AN-18 Mark IV.
- Color Scheme: Blue fumé gradient dial in a bronze case.
- Water Resistance: 20 ATM / 200 meters / 660 feet.
- Diameter: 44mm, excluding crown.
- Lug-to-Lug Length: 54mm.
- Lug Width: 24mm.
- Height: 13½mm, excluding crystal.
- Weight: 135g with straps, excluding carry case.
- Case: Marine grade CuSn8 bronze with brushed finish, bolt on crown guard, and screwdown crown, plus bolt on side guard with aged steel finish.
- Case Back: Marine grade 316L stainless steel.
- Dial Type: Two tone gradient fumé dial with a variation of a classic California dial configuration.
- Dial Glass: Scratch resistant low profile doubled domed sapphire crystal with anti-reflective coating on the underside.
- Bezel: 120 click marine grade CuSn8 bronze unidirectional dive bezel.
- Lume: Swiss Super-LumiNova C3 lume, the brightest color option.
- Straps Included: 1x pair of 24mm waxed vintage-style Horween leather straps with matching bronze hardware and screwed lug ends. (Screwdriver provided.)
- Movement: 25 jewel Swiss ETA 2824-2 automatic movement.
- Oscillation: High beat 28,800 BPH, (8 ticks per second.)
- Hacks: Yes.
- Hand Winds: Yes.
- Automatic Winding: Yes.
- Power Reserve: Up to 38 hours.
- Manufacturer's Warranty: 1 year.
We Also Recommend
Signum Cuda Abalone Exclusive Edition
Signum Cuda Natural Grey Meteorite (38/40mm & 42/44mm)
Signum Cuda Heat Treated Meteorite
Gruppo Gamma Divemaster Mk II DG-01 - Swiss ETA 2824-2