Albert Villa 1920s Grande Seconde (Art Deco) Limited Edition
We stock a variety of Albert Villa Timepieces in this eye-catching dress watch series, including some with fumé sunburst dials, and some with black enamel and gold Art Deco designs.
Why We Love This Watch
Albert Villa's modern take on Art Deco inspired vintage dress watches from the 1920s immediately reminds us of Jaeger-LeCoultre's Reverso, a well-known classic dress watch design, that first retailed in 1931 as a watch that could withstand the rigors of a polo game. All very apt as the general shape of the case here puts us in mind of the Reverso, (while thankfully not being a close homage,) but in a more modern size, with one of the most reliable of all mechanical movements, scratch resistant sapphire crystal, and 50 meters of water resistance. Very handy for those unexpected rain-showers while playing polo, or should you fall off your horse and land in a puddle!
The 1920s Grande Seconde is the most eye catching of all of the Albert Villa designs, with the carefully hammered gold-colored case that reflects light and can sparkle like diamonds, contrasted with a highly polished champagne gold-colored finish on some surfaces, and a deep black enamel dial overlaid with a classic gold-colored Art Deco sun pattern dial. The dial pattern is subtly symmetrical and divided into quarters that aid in time telling. We've never seen another microbrand watch quite like this, and it simply is in a league of its own. The case is also very thin for an automatic movement, and comes in at under 9mm, exactly what we want to see in a mechanical dress watch, so it can fit under a formal sleeve cuff for the grandest of occasions.
Not only is Albert Villa Timepieces the only watch microbrand we know of hailing from Romania, but the small limited edition size here of just 100 timepieces makes this model fairly rare and adds to the interest, making this watch quite the conversation piece, since it is sure to be noticed when worn.
1920s Grande Seconde
The "Grande Seconde" in the name of this watch simply means "large second hand", and is a reference to the central second hand on the dial to distinguish this model from the other gold on black design in Albert Villa's 1920s series, the "Petite Seconde", which has a sub-dial with small second hands. Despite the rather plain meaning, we think this is a truly appropriate name as the design of this intricate dial is very grand indeed and is the most outstanding Art Deco design we've seen from any microbrand.
Reference: Albert Villa Timepieces' 1920s Grande Seconde.
- Limited Edition Size: 100 individually numbered timepieces.
Color Scheme: Gold colored case and hands, gold on black colored dial, black straps with matching black stitching and gold colored hardware.
Type: Microbrand dress watch.
- Water Resistance: 5 ATM / 50 meters / 165 feet.
- Diameter: Not applicable as the case shape is not round. The width is 31mm, but we think this watch should wear similar to a round 38mm to 40mm watch since the 46mm lug length is the same as other watches in the 38mm to 40mm range.
- Lug-to-Lug Length: 46mm.
- Lug Width: 22mm.
- Height: 8.8mm.
Case: 316L marine grade stainless steel with a mix of finely polished champagne gold colored finishes and frosted gold finishes that are carefully created by hammering to create minuscule indentations that can sparkle like diamonds
- Case Back: 316L marine grade stainless steel screw down case back with champagne gold colored finish, decoratively engraved with the make, model, water resistance and "Limited Edition xxx/100", where the "xxx" is replaced with the individual number of the timepiece.
- Dial Type: Black enameled dial with intricate Art Deco gold colored "sun" pattern applied, matching gold colored dauphine hands with a highly polished finish.
- Glass Type: Scratch resistant flat sapphire crystal with anti-reflective coating.
Straps Included: Italian calfskin black patent leather 22mm straps, tapering to 18mm at the buckle, with matching black stitching, handmade by Albert Villa. Strap lengths are 125mm & 75mm. Please note that the straps vary slightly from those shown in most stock images.
- Movement: 24 jewel Miyota 9039 automatic mechanical movement.
- Oscillation: High beat 28,800 BPH, (8 ticks per second.)
- Hacks: Yes.
- Hand Winds: Yes.
- Automatic Winding: Yes.
- Power Reserve: 42 hours.
- Manufacturer's Warranty: 2 years.
We Also Recommend
Albert Villa 1920s Petite Seconde LE (Swiss ETA 7001 Mvmt)
Albert Villa 1920s Broadway (Red - Limited Edition)
Albert Villa 1920s Rhapsody in Blue (Limited Edition)