Hemel Air Wing - Black (Swan Neck Regulator)
In addition to the 40mm Hemel Air Wing in black or ivory, we also sell the 42mm Hemel Airfoil, a very similar bi-compax column wheel chronograph with the same swan neck regulator movement on show. Please see our other Hemel listings, including our store exclusive model, a limited edition of just 100 timepieces.
Why We Love This Watch
The 42mm Airfoil was explosively popular, and quickly sold out when it launched. Customers love the design and versatility of the Airfoil, but we also received some requests for a slightly smaller watch. When Hemel came out with the 40mm Hemel Air Wing, we were ecstatic. Here we have a substantially similar watch in near identical ivory and black color schemes, giving us many of the same reasons to love this new design:
A gorgeous exhibition case back, showcasing a decorated hand-wound movement, with blued screws. With no rotor in the way to block the view, this can make observing the chronograph in action quite a treat. The movement itself has some interesting history as it is directly descended from the Venus 175, a famous Swiss column-wheel chronograph used in Swiss watches such as the Breitling Chronomat. Seagull acquired the plans and the original Venus equipment to manufacture the Venus 175, and went on to produce the improved version you see here.
A swan neck regulator. This is a desirable upgrade for those who fancy the idea of a more easily regulating a watch themselves for even greater accuracy.
Elegant Versatility. This watch makes an outstanding adventure travel timepiece. You can use the rotating bezel as a second time zone, and this robust watch features 100 meters of water resistance, the same as many dive watches, a scratch resistant sapphire crystal, and a scratch resistant ceramic bezel, not to mention the very legible dial in both day and night conditions. The bezel can also be used to extend the chronograph (stop watch) timing by up to 12 hours, a remarkably convenient feature.
- Type: Microbrand watch.
- Reference: Hemel Air Wing Black — Hemel HF19.
Complications: Mechanical column wheel chronograph with swan neck regulator.
- Color Scheme: Black Dial, black sub-dials, and black bezel, with cream markings and red accents, set in a silver-colored stainless steel case.
- Water Resistance: 10 ATM / 100 meters / 330 feet.
- Diameter: 40mm, excluding crown.
- Lug Width: 20mm.
- Lug to Lug Length: 47mm.
- Case: Marine grade 316L stainless steel with signed crown.
- Case Back: Screw-down exhibition case back in 316L stainless steel.
- Dial Type: Full reverse lume dial. The left sub-dial shows current seconds, and the right sub-dial shows the minute timer for the chronograph function.
- Dial Glass: Double domed scratch resistant sapphire crystal with anti-reflective coating, featuring a contoured magnifying edge reminiscent of vintage hesalite crystal appropriate for the vintage styling of this timepiece.
- Bezel: 120 click unidirectional scratch resistant gloss ceramic bezel with lumed 12 hour indices. The pip on the bezel can be set to the hour hand when using the chronograph to extend the chronograph timing function for 12 or more hours. The bezel can also be used for a second time zone, or for traditional dive watch timing by setting the pip to the minute hand.
- Lume: Swiss Super-Luminova C3 lume. This is the brightest lume color, which glows a strong green in the dark when charged.
- Straps Included: A pair of light tan brown 20mm genuine leather straps with white stitching and double-signed steel buckle.
- Movement: 19 jewel Seagull ST1901 hand-wound decorated movement with blued screws, featuring a swan neck regulator for easier and more accurate regulation adjustments to improve the accuracy of the timepiece. The ST19 started out as a famous Swiss movement, the Venus 175, which was used in Swiss watches such as the Breitling Chronomat. Seagull acquired the design and original manufacturing machinery from Venus and developed the improved ST19 series from this design.
- Oscillation: 21,600 BPH, (6 ticks per second.)
- Hacks: No.
- Hand Winds: Yes.
- Automatic Winding: No.
- Power Reserve: 38 hours.
- Manufacturer's Warranty: 2 years.
We Also Recommend
Égard Phase 2 Tourbillon Limited Edition
Hemel Air Wing - Full Lume Ivory Panda
Solas Watches - Sólás Starlight Silver - Aventurine Dial + Micro-Rotor
Hemel Airfoil - Full Lume BGW9 Panda Exclusive Edition