Égard Phase 2 Tourbillon Limited Edition
Why We Love This Watch
The limited edition Égard Phase 2 Tourbillon from Egard Watch Company (an American microbrand) is Egard's second skeletonized tourbillon release, with the escapement and balance wheel rotating a full 360 degrees every minute in lieu of a second hand, something we always find absolutely mesmerizing to look at. Like Egard's first release, which quickly sold out, Egard's Phase 2 Tourbillon has been exceptionally hard to get hold of, being made in very small batches with final assembly in the United States. We had to wait a year before we could get our first shipment of just a few Phase IIs, only a fraction of what we ordered, and when we sell out, we'll likely not be able to stock more for some considerable time.
The wait however has been well worth it. This 43mm skeletonized design gives off a dressy tool watch vibe making it eminently suitable for smart casual occasions, with a wrist presence that tends to draw attention without being over the top. It is also a wonderfully balanced and symmetrical design with the tourbillon on display at 6 o'clock, and the twin barrel dual mainsprings on display in the other two corners, giving this automatic watch an extended 72 hour power reserve. The unique custom scratch resistant sapphire crystal also curves downwards towards 6 o'clock which gives the wearer a better peek at the tourbillon in action, a really nice touch and indicative of the overall attention to detail on this special timepiece.
As you can expect on a watch of this quality, the watch has been treated with a scratch resistant DLC (diamond-like carbon) transparent finish, and uses Swiss Super-LumiNova C3 lume. The exhibition case back also nicely showcases the skeletonized movement with blued screws and a skeletonized rotor, and includes an engraving of each Phase II watch's unique serial number from the limited edition. The included custom bracelet with butterfly clasp looks the best we've ever seen for this style of watch, and the package also includes leather straps and a lockable presentation box.
When Neil, The Microbrand Store's owner, first saw the Égard Phase 1 Tourbillon, he completely fell in love with it, purchased one as a customer at retail pricing, and it is the only tourbillon watch that he currently keeps in his personal collection. Neil liked the Phase 1 so much that he collaborated with Egard on the design of the Égard Phase 2 Tourbillon, so we're very excited to be carrying the Phase 2 tourbillon in our store.
We've tested all of the Égard Phase 2 Tourbillons that we've received. All of these watches that we have in stock exhibited very clean lines on our timegrapher and averaged a dial-up accuracy of between +/- 2 seconds per day when fully wound. This is a significantly better than the vast majority of tourbillon timepieces we find in this price range and leads us to believe that these watches may have been regulated during their final assembly, which would be a very desirable enhancement for our customers.
- Type: Skeletonized dress watch.
- Reference: Égard Phase 2 Tourbillon.
- Water Resistance: 5 ATM / 50 meters / 165 feet.
- Diameter: 43mm at widest point, excluding crown.
- Lug Width: 22mm.
- Lug-to-Lug Length: 50mm.
- Height: 15½mm from base of watch to highest point of domed sapphire crystal.
- Wrist Size: Watch suitable for 6½ inch (16½cm) to 8½ inch (21½cm) wrists. The provided steel bracelet fits up to 8½" wrists, and the provided leather straps fits up to 8¼" wrists. Both the bracelet and the straps come with the watch.
Case: 316L marine grade stainless steel rounded triangular case with scratch resistant DLC (diamond-like carbon) coating.
- Case Back: 316L marine grade stainless steel screw down exhibition case back, (with limited edition serial number,) showcasing the skeletonized movement.
- Dial: Skeletonized dial with a balanced design showcasing the co-axial tourbillon movement at 6 o'clock and the twin barrel dual mainsprings on the remaining two sides of the triangle. Includes lumed applied hour indices, lumed hour and minute hands, and an outer track with minute markings. (There is no second hand since the tourbillon rotates a full 360 degrees every minute.)
- Dial Crystal: Unique custom scratch resistant domed sapphire crystal with rounded triangular shape to match the case. The crystal also curves down at the front more so as to allow easier viewing of the tourbillon on the wrist, which also adds a desirable distortion effect when viewing at an acute angle.
- Lume: Swiss Super-LumiNova C3 lume on the hands and applied indices.
- Straps Included: A solid link bracelet with signed butterfly clasp and double pusher release. A pair of black leather straps with signed clasp.
- Packaging: Black carbon fiber patterned lockable presentation box, Égard Phase 2 Tourbillon manual/booklet, Égard warranty card, & The Microbrand Store™ micro-fiber cleaning cloth.
- Limited Edition: 1750 timepieces, with the serial number engraved on the back.
- Movement: Custom skeletonized Hangzhou co-axial tourbillon high beat automatic movement with twin barrels (dual mainsprings) for double the normal power reserve, decorations, and blued screws.
- Oscillation: 28,800 BPH, (8 ticks per second.)
- Hacks: Not applicable. The tourbillon rotates 360 degrees per minute so a second hand is not required.
- Hand Winds: Yes.
- Automatic Winding: Yes. Please note that automatic winding does not wind the watch to the maximum power reserve. That can only be achieved by hand winding the crown. This is normal for a tourbillon since a stronger spring is required than on a non-tourbillon timepiece. The rotor that performs the automatic winding can top up the power reserve when the watch is running low. Most tourbillons are hand wound only so the automatic winding is a nice bonus.
- Power Reserve: Extended to 72 hours due to the dual mainsprings.
Manufacturer's Warranty: 2 years.
The Microbrand Store™ is an authorized dealer for Egard Watches.
- Final Assembly: USA.
We Also Recommend
Zelos Skyraider 2 Titanium Skeleton - Limited Edition ETA 6498-1 Elabore
Zelos Skyraider Titanium Skeleton - Limited Edition ETA 6498
Zelos Skyraider Bronze Skeleton - Limited Edition ETA 6498
TACS Automatic Vintage Lens II (AVL II) - Silver & Horween