Waldhoff Ultramatic - Royal Blue Limited Edition (with Tourbillon)
The limited edition Waldhoff Ultramatic is available in a variety of colors, and comes with a presentation box and shopping bag to make the perfect gift for a watch lover. We also recommend a Waldhoff solid link bracelet to go with the Ultramatic.
Why We Love This Watch
One word: Tourbillon! Invented by French-Swiss watchmaker Abraham-Louis Breguet around 1795 as a means to improve accuracy, the rotating tourbillon is generally considered to be one of the most desirable of watch complications at the height of haute horology. Absolutely fascinating to watch, tourbillons are also relatively expensive complications to make, as each one has to be built by hand due to the delicate nature of the mechanism.
Getting a Swiss Made watch with a tourbillon typically involves a very hefty price tag that costs an arm and a leg, and probably a kidney too, as well as your first born. For those of us who're looking to pay more microbrand or Kickstarter-like prices for our tourbillon fix, the only alternative is to get a watch with a Chinese movement. However, the Chinese movement market can be hit or miss quality-wise, so we're really happy that Waldhoff has chosen to go with the Peacock 5212 as Liaoning Peacock Watch Co., Ltd are one of the better and more reputable tourbillon makers.
Manufaktur Waldhoff themselves assemble all their watches in their facility in Pforzheim, the capital of German watchmaking, and Manfred Starck, one of the two founders who runs the production facility, has over 40 years experience as a high end watch maker, and originally started out working for STOWA. Consequently, we feel that the Manufaktur Waldhoff Ultramatic offers the perfect balance of reliable quality at an affordable microbrand price.
Tourbillon aside, we also love the look of this dress watch. In common with the extremely popular and best selling Waldoff Multimatic, the Waldhoff Ultramatic has a very unique design, consisting of a complex multi-layered watch face containing a number of sub-dials, and a very distinctive raised outer track with Roman numerals in the upper half and markers in the lower half. Diamond cut hands (filled with Swiss Super-Luminova of course) and ribbed case sides complete the picture. Some other unusual touches include an exposed mechanism for the power reserve, and a map of the north pole appropriately adorning the 24 hour sub-dial.
- Type: Microbrand watch.
- Reference: Manufaktur Waldhoff Ultramatic Royal Blue.
- Limited Edition Size: 1,000 timepieces.
- Complications: Flying wing co-axial tourbillon, power reserve, 24 hour sub-dial.
- Color Scheme: Blue and silver.
- Water Resistance: 5 ATM / 50 meters / 165 feet.
- Diameter: 42½mm, excluding crown.
- Lug-to-Lug Length: 50mm.
- Lug Width: 22mm.
- Height: 13.8mm.
- Case: 316L marine grade stainless steel.
- Case Back: 316L marine grade stainless steel with sapphire glass exhibition window.
- Weight: 100.5 grams.
- Dial Type: Multi-layered with sub-dials, guilloché pattern, exposed tourbillon and power reserve, and applied indices.
- Glass Type: Scratch resistant sapphire crystal with anti-reflective coating.
- Lume: Swiss RC-Tritec Super-LumiNova.
- Straps Included: 22mm genuine calf leather with quick-release spring bars.
- Movement: 29 jewel Peacock 5212 automatic movement.
- Oscillation: 21,600 BPH, (6 ticks per second.)
- Hacks: N/A. Tourbillon rotates 360 degrees every minute in lieu of a second hand.
- Hand Winds: Yes.
- Automatic Winding: Yes.
- Power Reserve: 40 hours.
- Manufacturer's Warranty: 2 years.
We Also Recommend
Waldhoff Ultramatic - Diamond Silver Limited Ed. (with Tourbillon)
Waldhoff Ultramatic Exclusive - Diamond Silver Mother‑of‑Pearl
Waldhoff Ultramatic - Obsidian Black Limited Edition (with Tourbillon)